Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney movie, and I am very excited to see that it is back in theaters for a limited time starting this weekend. Belle has always been one of my favorite characters. It was nice to see a princess who has the same hobby that I have . . . reading! Even better, my children love reading too, so what better craft for my first Disney Moms post than something that combines my favorite Disney movie with my favorite hobby.
My children are constantly walking around with their favorite books. This activity today is a Beauty and the Beast inspired book satchel. I am sure that more than books will be carried around in them though. Even better, this activity can be easily themed to your favorite Disney character.
- Cardboard Cereal Box
- 12×12 Sheet of Beauty & the Beast Patterned Paper
- Glue Dots
- Pink Checked Ribbon – 24″ Strips (2)
- Hole Punch
- Cut the bottom corner from the cereal box – six inches from the corner on both edges.
- Use a 12×12 sheet of paper to cover the outside of the cut corner piece, leaving the open side uncovered. Use glue dots to adhere the paper to the box.
- Using the hole punch, cut two holes in each of the short ends, about 1 inch apart
- Thread one ribbon from the left end across the open side of the satchel and tie in the matching hole on the other end to create straps. Do the same for the second set of punched holes and strip of ribbon.
- With an extra piece of ribbon, tie the two ribbon handles in center creating a bow (this step is for decorative purposes only)
These can be easily personalized to match your child’s personality. Craft stores have plenty of 3D embellishments you can purchase to decorate the satchel and there are many options for 12×12 Disney themed paper.
Beth is the mom of three Disney fanatics. She shares her daily doses of Disney and all her family’s vacation planning tips at her blog Pursuing the Magic. You will see her crafty creations you can make with your children every month on the 14th here at The Disney Moms.